Apple TV+ is an American subscription streaming service operated by Apple. After years of speculation, the streaming service was launched by Apple in November 2019. The service offers a selection of original production films and TV series known as Apple TV+ Originals.
Apple TV+ is Apple’s answer to Netflix, Disney+ or Hulu. The platform gives its users access to the Apple TV+ Originals, which can only be found on Apple TV+. The following article is a guideline to Apple TV Plus’ content and how it works. Read on to find out more.
How much does Apple TV+ cost?
The monthly subscription fee for Apple TV+ is $4.99. There is also the option to pay an annual subscription fee of $49.99. Each Apple TV+ account can have up to six profiles in a Family Sharing group. The streaming service has a 7-day free trial before you can cancel or subscribe to the service.
In addition, if you buy a new iPhone, iPad, Mac, iPod touch, or Apple TV, you’ll get one free year of Apple TV+ included with your device. After that, you can either cancel or continue with your subscription. You have 90 days after purchase to activate the free subscription. Apple TV+ is also included if you subscribe to Apple One.
What is the difference between Apple TV+ and Apple TV?
Many people tend to confuse Apple TV+ with Apple TV since they have very similar names. However, Apple TV+ is not the same as the Apple TV app. Apple TV+ is a streaming service that can be used from within the Apple TV app. However, the app provides many other options and features.
The Apple TV app provides its users with a platform to watch content from many different streaming services that they have subscribed to. For instance, if you have subscribed to streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, and Showtime, you can watch content from said streaming services through the Apple TV app. The Apple TV app also allows you to buy and rent movies from the iTunes Store.
You can use the Apple TV app without subscribing to Apple TV+. On the other hand, Apple TV+ is the only source of Apple’s original production films and TV series. This content can be accessed from within the Apple TV app.
How to create an Apple ID
For you to be able to access Apple TV+, you need the Apple TV app. The app comes installed on all Apple devices. You can also install the app on other supporting devices. The other thing you need to access Apple TV+ is an Apple ID account.
If you do not have an Apple ID, go to https://appleid.apple.com/account#!&page=create to create an Apple ID. If you have a smart TV or streaming device, here’s what to do:
- Download the Apple TV app from the app store on your smart TV or streaming device
- Install the app
- Launch the app and then select Start
- Go to Watching, then to Settings
- Under settings select Accounts and then go to Sign In
You can sign in to your Apple ID in two ways:
- You can sign in using your mobile device. To do this, you need to use your phone camera to scan the QR code shown on the TV and sign in to your Apple ID on your phone.
- You can also sign in on your TV, using your TV or streaming device’s remote to sign into your Apple ID.
Once you have signed in to your Apple ID, follow any on-screen prompts and you’ll be ready to start watching.
How to sign up for Apple TV+
After installing the Apple TV app and creating an Apple ID, sign in or sign up for Apple TV+ by following these steps:
If you already have a subscription:
- Open the Apple TV app.
- Go to Settings
- Click on Accounts
- Select Sign In and then sign in with your Apple ID to start watching.
If you don’t have an Apple TV+ subscription:
- Open the Apple TV app
- Click Watch Now
- Scroll down to Channels
- Click Apple TV+.
- Select the Free Trial offer.
- Sign in with your Apple ID.
The app will then ask you to confirm the billing information for the debit or credit card on file in your Apple ID. You’ll also be asked to add a valid payment card. Once the free trial expires, your card will be billed each month. Select Confirm and start watching.
How to share Apple TV+ with friends and family
It is possible to share Apple TV+ with friends and family. Apple makes it easy to share your subscription with up to five family members or close friends. This makes up for a total of six users per account using the Apple TV+’s Family Sharing feature.
It is important to note that the Family Sharing feature can only be set up from a Mac, iPadOS, or iOS. You won’t be able to set it up from a smart TV or streaming device.
To set up Family Sharing on your iPhone or any other iOS device:
- Tap the Settings app and then select your name. If you haven’t used Family Sharing before, tap Set Up Family Sharing and then select Get Started.
- Confirm the Apple ID you want to use to create your Family Sharing group. This should be the Apple ID you use for subscribing to Apple TV+
- Confirm the payment method you’ll use for any purchases made using Family Sharing.
- Select Invite Family Members and send invitations to family or close friends via text message. You can also have them join directly on your device.
- Once a person has joined your Family Sharing group, they can log in to Apple TV+ on their own devices using their Apple ID and watch using your subscription.
Also Read: How many gift cards can I use at Apple?
How to Watch Apple TV+
Once you have installed the Apple TV app, created an Apple ID, used it to sign up for Apple TV+, and have an Apple TV+ subscription, you can now start watching.
You can use the app to watch movies, TV shows, and kids programming. You can also browse for titles and look for content using the Search menu.
Scroll down the main page to see featured sections such as Up Next, which lists the episodes in shows you are already watching. The platform also provides recommendations based on your watchlist and watching history, as well as promoted items from the Apple TV library.
What content is available on Apple TV+?
Apple TV+, like most streaming services, has original movies and TV shows that are only available through Apple. These are quality and high-end movies and TV shows featuring big name producers and stars such as Tom Hanks, Jennifer Aniston, and Oprah Winfrey.
However, unlike other streaming services, Apple TV+ does not have a vast library of movies and TV shows. As such, while platforms such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu have thousands of titles to choose from, Apple TV+ offers dozens of titles and is constantly adding new programming to their catalog.
Although Apple TV has a comparatively smaller library of content compared to other streaming services, the Apple TV app offers other content. This includes movies and TV shows that you can rent or buy from iTunes.
The Apple TV app also contains content from compatible streaming apps. As such, shows from platforms such as Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and other streaming services also appear in the Apple TV app. You can watch these movies and TV shows by clicking on them.
Does Apple TV+ offer live TV?
Unfortunately. Apple TV+ does not offer live TV. However, if you have a compatible streaming app that offers live TV, it is possible to watch live content using the Apple TV app. Since Apple TV+ does not offer live TV, it also doesn’t offer DVR.
Also Read: Does CVS sell Apple gift cards?
How to download shows and movies on Apple TV+ to watch offline
It is possible to download movies and TV shows on Apple TV+ to watch them online. However, this is only possible on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and the Mac. To download titles on the platform to watch them offline, follow these steps:
- Find the show or movie you want to download by browsing for it or by searching for the title on the Search bar
- Once you find the title, click on it to go to the screen about the movie or show
- Click on the download icon (the cloud with the down arrow) in the lower right corner just under the image to download the title
- After the title is downloaded, go to the Library menu in the Apple TV app
- Go to Downloaded
- Click on the title to watch
It is important to note that not all titles are available to download.
Can you rent or buy movies or TV shows with Apple TV+?
Unfortunately, you cannot buy or rent movies and TVshows within Apple TV+. However, the Apple TV app, which houses Apple TV+, is integrated with Apple’s movie and TV stores.For this reason, you’ll see movies and TV shows available to rent or buy throughout the Apple TV app. You’ll be able to rent or buy and watch these titles using the Apple TV app. However, they won’t be part of Apple TV+.
How to block purchases in the Apple TV app
It is possible to block purchases in the Apple TV app. This is an important feature especially if you have kids who use the app and end up accidentally buying something separate on the app instead of streaming Apple TV+. To avoid such inconveniences, follow these steps:
- Go to the Settings menu
- Click on General
- Select Restrictions
- Click on Restrictions to turn it on
- Enter a four-digit passcode. This code will be used to turn the restrictions on and off
- Enter the passcode a second time to confirm
- Toggle the Purchases and Rental menu to enable Restrict
Can you subscribe to other streaming services with Apple TV+?
No, you cannot subscribe to other streaming services with Apple TV+. It is impossible to do so with the streaming service itself since the platform is limited to original programming from Apple. However, the Apple TV app has a Channels feature that you can use to subscribe to other services. You can then watch content from these streaming services in the Apple TV app. To do that:
- Open the Apple TV app
- Go to the Available Apple TV Channels section
- Select a service
- Select the free trial button
- Follow the onscreen prompts to subscribe
Most of these services offer a short free trial. Once the free trial is over, your monthly subscription will be billed by Apple using your Apple ID.
What devices are compatible with Apple TV+?
It is no surprise that you can watch Apple TV+ on Apple products. You can watch Apple TV+ on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Macs, and Apple TV via the web or using the Apple TV app. Besides the Apple products, you can also stream Apple TV+ on many other kinds of compatible devices.
The Apple TV app is available on LG and Samsung smart TVs, Amazon Fire and Roku streaming devices, and Windows PCs via the web. Apple TV is also available for many Android TV OS devices, including Phillips TVs, Nvidia’s Shield TV and more.
How to get HBO Max on Apple TV
You can get HBO Max on Apple TV. To be able to do so:
- Sign up for HBO Max online or from your Apple TV after installing the app
- Launch the Apple TV app
- Scroll down to the App Store
- Open the App Store.
- Click the search icon.
- Search for HBO Max and select it from the results
- Click the download button to download HBO Max
- Click Open
- Select Sign-in or Subscribe Now
- Sign in with your email and password, or follow the on-screen prompts to sign up for HBO Max
Navigating HBO Max on Apple TV
Once you have set up an HBO Max account, open the Apple TV app. Go to channels and select HBO Max. Scroll down to see categories such as For You, Continue Watching, Just Added, Last Chance, and more. The platform makes movie and TV show recommendations based on your history. You can also navigate genres like Kids &Family, Drama, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and more.