When it comes to Visa gift cards, one of the first questions you need to ask yourself is do you have to register a Visa gift card?
Well, most Visa gift cards are automatically registered and activated upon purchase. This means you don’t have to register them when you receive them as gifts.
However, sometimes, you have to register your Visa gift card before you can use it. Registering Visa gift cards means associating your name and address with the gift card.
If you only plan to make offline purchases in stores, you do not have to register your Visa gift card. However, if you want to use your gift card for online purchases, it must be registered.
Here is how to register a Visa Gift card:
- If you buy a Visa gift card that is not activated, the card issuer will usually provide activation instructions
- If you have been gifted a Visa gift card, locate the activation instructions printed at the back of the card or on a sticker at the front of the card.
- Find your 16 digit gift card number at the front of the card and the card verification number a the back of the card.
- Depending on the issuer instructions, you may have to activate your Visa gift card online of by calling a 1-800 number. Whichever option you use, you will need to use your gift card number and card verification number.
Important information on your Visa Gift card
Always record the following information from your Visa Gift card. You can write it on a notepad or take a picture of the card with your phone:
- Gift card number
- Card verification number (found at the back of the card)
- The customer service phone number or the activation website
Having this information somewhere else apart from the gift card will ensure that you can still access the funds on the gift card even after you lose it or in case the card gets stolen.
Using your Visa Gift card online
In most cases, you will be able to use your Visa gift card at any physical store where Visa debit or credit cards are accepted without having to activate it.
However, if you want to use your Visa gift card online, it has to be registered and activated first.
Just follow the steps above to register your Visa gift card and you will be able to use it like a regular credit or debit card by providing card details at checkout when making online purchases.
That said, some websites do not allow the use of prepaid gift cards like Visa gift cards, Amex Gift cards, and Mastercard gift cards.
Examples of these websites include hotel reservation websites, subscription sites, car rental services, and transactions outside the US.
- How to register your Amex gift card
- How to register your Mastercard gift card
- How to use your Visa, Mastercard, or Amex gift card on Amazon
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Visa Gift cards expire?
Visa Gift cards do not expire. You can use them whenever you want as long as there’s a balance in them.
That said, some Visa gift cards have a “valid thru” date. If your card reaches this date but there is still a balance on it, call the card issuer using the number at the back of the card. You will get a replacement Gift card with the same balance reissued and mailed to you at no extra cost.
Do Visa Gift cards have inactivity fees?
No, Visa Gift cards do not have inactivity fees. You can use them whenever you want. There are no extra fees after buying a Visa gift card.
Also Read: All the gift cards you can buy on Amazon