In most cases out, you will receive your Amex Gift card when it is ready to use.
Sometimes, though, you have to activate the gift card by registering it before you can use it. In such cases, you have to know how to register an American Express gift card.
Amex Gift cards that do not have a name and address associated with them have to be registered first before they can be used.
Here is how to register your Amex Gift card:
- Call Amex Gift card support at 1-877-297-4438
- You will be asked to provide your Amex Gift card number and security code. Provide these details
- You will then be redirected to a customer service agent who will ask for your address. Provide your address
- Your gift card will now have your name and address associated with it. You can now use it for purchases
Follow these same steps for your American Express business gift card registration process. Doing this will activate your Amex gift card.
Remember, always check your AMEX gift card balance before and after using it.
Important information on your Amex Gift card
Once you register your Amex gift card, always record the following information. You can write it on a notepad or take a picture of the card with your phone:
- Gift card number
- Card Identification Code (the four digits at the front of your Amex Gift card)
- Card security code (found at the back of the card)
- The customer service phone number
Having this information somewhere else apart from the gift card will ensure that you can still access the funds on the gift card even after you lose the card or in case the card gets stolen.
Also Read: Can Amex gift cards be reloaded?
Using your Amex Gift card online
Your Amex Gift card can be used in most physical stores. However, if convenience is what you are after, using it online is a much better option. Here is how to use Amex gift cards online.
Let’s say you want to use your Amex business gift card on Amazon. Well, before you can use your Amex Gift card online, you first have to register it by following the steps outlined above.
With a registered Amex Gift card, you should be able to shop on most popular stores online such as Amazon. Just use it like you would a regular credit or debit card by providing the card details at checkout.
That said, some websites do not allow the use of prepaid gift cards like Amex Gift cards, Mastercard gift cards, and Visa gift cards.
Examples of these websites include hotel reservation websites, subscription sites, car rental services, and transactions outside the US.
- How to register your Mastercard gift card
- How to register your Visa gift card
- How to use a Visa, Mastercard, or Amex gift card on Amazon
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I ship an Amex Gift card as a gift?
If you want to give an Amex Gift card as a gift to someone, you can choose to have it delivered to your address or their address.
However, the address cannot be a PO Box, APO, or FPO address. It can also not be delivered to an international address.
If you are buying an American Express Business gift card, it can only be shipped to the business address of the business that placed the order.
Do Amex Gift cards expire?
Amex Gift cards do not expire. You can use them whenever you want as long as there’s a balance in them.
Do Amex Gift cards have inactivity fees?
No, Amex Gift cards do not have inactivity fees. You can use them whenever you want until the balance is depleted.
If your Amex Gift card has an expiry date and the date passes, simply reach out to Amex customer support by calling 1-877-297-4438. They will reissue a new Gift card with the same balance.
How long does it take for an Amex Gift card to be delivered?
The delivery period of an Amex Gift card depends on the shipping method.
- Rush shipping takes 2 to 3 business days.
- Expedited shipping takes 3 to 4 business days.
- Standard shipping takes 5 to 6 business days.
If there is a delay with your gift card shipping, call 1-833-205-8622.